The key difference is the philosophy and the basic tenants. These six principles guide the profession and indeed they are radically different than conventional medicine, in their scope and intent. I think you will agree these principles are based on common sense and should be the basis of all good medical care.
1. First Do No Harm: Naturopathic Doctors work to restore balance in a safe, gentle, and effective way with non-invasive treatments, minimizing the potential for side effects. Naturopathic physicians also aim to avoid symptom suppression of disease, which can do more harm than good, in the long-term.
2. Doctor as Teacher: A Naturopathic physician believes that patient education gives the patient the power to take responsibility for their own health.
3. The Healing Power of Nature: The human body possesses natural, inherent healing mechanisms to restore health. The Naturopathic physician’s role is to support and facilitate this process with the use of natural, safe, and effective remedies.
4. Identify and Treat the Cause: The Naturopathic physician’s number one goal is to identify and remove the cause of your symptoms. This is the only way to attain sustainable and long-term symptom resolution and achieve the restoration of optimal health.
5. Treat the Whole Person through Individualized Treatment: One size does not fit all when it comes to health and healing. We are all incredibly unique and complex and in order for true healing to take place, Naturopathic physicians thoroughly assess the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of their patients in order to choose the most appropriate therapies.
6. Prevention is the best cure: The most prevalent chronic degenerative diseases today such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer can absolutely be prevented or addressed with the correct lifestyle and medical choices. Naturopathic physicians are preventive medicine specialists and believe that the choices we make today can have a profound effect on our health and sense of well-being in the future.
Latest posts by Alan Kadish (see all)
- MicroPlastic in the water and now in the snow ! - August 18, 2019
- Organic Apples are indeed different than their conventional cousins - August 11, 2019
- Artificial Sweetener found to be dangerous - July 26, 2019