Mercury in any form is toxic, period !
by Dr. Alan Kadish NMD
For years there has been the misconception the inorganic mercury was less toxic than the organic form, such as what we consume from eating fish. Now it’s clear that the inorganic mercury, such as what’s found in “silver” fillings, also known as amalgam fillings may indeed be more toxic.
At the Center of Health we have been recommending avoiding amalgams for decades, not unlike the Europeans and others who banded their use years ago (2008). With this “new” information we should be much more aggressive and no longer use the amalgams in our country, period. Most folks don’t appreciate that the dental offices are the most polluting source of mercury in wastewater that enters publicly-owned treatment facilities.
BUT……before you go and have the filling removed know that it can cause more problems and if your still inclined or having some effects that you believe are indeed from the mercury, consider testing and following the European protocol for removal, which is only done by select dentists, who practice what is known as biological dentistry. Under no circumstances should you just go for it and have a dentist replace them with other forms of fillings. When the amalgams are removed you place more of the mercury into your circulation and can cause a host of problems, including issues with your kidneys, nervous and immune systems.
The good news is that indeed you can remove the mercury safely with a little planning and proper dental services and prescriptions . We can assist you in this procedure and direct you to an appropriate dentist.
Time for a new look for your teeth and less mercury in the system ? Call us at the Center 541.773.3191
Inorganic mercury exposure linked to damaged cell processes
University of Georgia research has found that inorganic mercury, which was previously thought to be a less harmful form of the toxic metal, is very damaging to key cell processes.
This study is the first to compare the effects of inorganic and organic mercury compounds at the biochemical, physiological and proteomic levels in any model organism, according to the study’s lead author Stephen LaVoie, a microbiology doctoral student. The research looked at how inorganic and organic mercury affected specific molecular processes.
Inorganic mercury from the ore cinnabar was used for centuries against infections; in modern times, humans synthesized organic mercurials as antimicrobials, such as merthiolate.
“Today, most human exposure to inorganic mercury is from dental fillings, and organic mercury exposure is from methylmercury in fish,” said study co-author Anne Summers, a microbiology professor in the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.
Organic mercury exposure is associated with neurological disease, LaVoie explained, whereas inorganic mercury is known to cause neurological, kidney and autoimmune diseases. However, the molecular basis for their distinct toxicity profiles was not understood.
Owing to concern about fish consumption, most research has emphasized organic mercury, assuming it was more toxic, LaVoie said. But comparing them on key cellular processes, he found that inorganic mercury “caused more damage at lower concentrations than organic mercury.”
For his study, LaVoie used a common lab strain of E. coli bacteria as a model cellular system. He exposed growing cells to mercury compounds and measured their reactive sulfur called thiols–essential metals and proteins that naturally bind essential metals via amino acid thiols.
“We used a fluorescent probe to detect thiols,” LaVoie said. After mercury exposure the thiols decreased more with inorganic than organic mercury. Inorganic mercury was much more efficient at removing iron from iron-dependent proteins than the best organic mercury compound tested.
“As fellow oxygen-breathing creatures, it’s important to know that inorganic mercury is more potent than organic mercury in disrupting protein-iron centers such as those we have in our own cells, ” Summers said.
“More is being learned about the bacteria in and on our bodies,” LaVoie said. “What we ingest affects them, too, and their health affects our health.”
Stephen P. LaVoie, Daphne T. Mapolelo, Darin M. Cowart, Benjamin J. Polacco, Michael K. Johnson, Robert A. Scott, Susan M. Miller, Anne O. Summers; “Organic and inorganic mercurials have distinct effects on cellular thiols, metal homeostasis, and Fe-binding proteins in Escherichia coli”; JBIC; 2015
Latest posts by Dr. Alan Kadish, NMD (see all)
- Ever wonder why insurance stock and profits are soaring , at patients expense ? - August 27, 2019
- Heavy metals in your baby food ? - November 11, 2017
- Is it Alzheimer’s, Depression or both , scan the brain - February 24, 2017